Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Name change

My blog has had a few different titles over the last couple of years.  Maybe this one will stick!

The most recent title, Logging Miles, was somewhat misleading.  See, in honesty, I haven't been logging many miles at all for quite a while.  Also, that title implies I consider myself a runner.  As much as I may be a runner mentally, physically, plain and simply, I am not.

This is a journal of my journey and experiences.  Many runners will experience an injury.  The question is not if, but when?  In my experience, the damage is not only physical, but mental and emotional.  Some injuries are small and quickly heal.  Others, like mine, exact a lasting toll.  In order to make a successful return, rehabilitation must focus on all three areas.  I am currently entrenched in this process.  I have no idea whether I will be successful or not.  This blog is just me filtering through the various emotions and thoughts I experience.  It's more therapeutic for me than anything.  If someone stumbles across it and it provides some perspective or comfort, that's just an added bonus.

So, where is this all coming from?  Well, it's coming from the fact that Monday night I began to have signifcant lower back pain on my left side.  I took a break from my exercises that night, opting for rest/recovery and a good night's sleep.  Tuesday, the pain had worsened.  The pain had worsened.  Addtionally, a dull throbbing and weakness had extended to my left hip, glute and leg.  My thought: "Once again, I am broken!"

Luckily, I had a doctor appointment last night.  He informed me that my pelvis had shifted and torqued.  The left side had rotated back and right while the right side had rotated forward and left.  This caused a leg length discrepancy (left shorter than right).  Also, pressure was being placed on my L-4 disk and the sacroiliac joint causing the specific pain I experienced.  He adjusted me and I went on my way.  I decided to again take the evening off of running (hoped to do four miles) as well as my exercises.  I figured the rest could only aid in recovery.

This morning, I woke up with the same pain.  I did my back and neck exercises.  I also performed these specific sacroiliac joint exercises.  Nothing seemed to alleviate the pain and discomfort.  So, I decided to take a pain killer.  This was a last resort, but I knew sitting at work all day would be troublesome if I did not.  I will continue to take them only as long as necessary.

I am not quite sure what the root cause of this newest setback is.  Running two days in a row?  Running eight and a half miles (I used to do that almost every day!!!)?  Running a more hilly route?  Running at a pace a little faster than I was use to?  Problems with my gait?  Less doctor appointments to keep me aligned?  Muscle imbalance?  Most likely, it is a combination of all these factors...and probably some I am not even thinking off or don't even know about.

Conclusion: It appears I am back on the shelf.  I am not sure when I will run again.  I hope it is soon, solely because of my enjoyment of it.  Damn, this sucks - physcially, mentally and emotionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment