Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Dec 27, 2010 - January 2, 2011

Mon: rest day
Tue: 8.1 km, 5:07/km
Wed: 4.93 km, 5:39/km, recovery run
Thu: 8.08 km, 4:57/km, progessive run on treadmill (8:13/mile > 7:30/mile)
Fri: 7.02 km, 5:15/km
Sat: rest day
Sun: 12.13 km, 4:57/km

Total: 5 runs, 40.26 km (25.02 miles)

2011 totals: 1 run, 12.13 km, 1:00:00 hr

This was the first time since my injury assessment and rehabilitation I had run 5 days in a week.  Sunday was the longest run since my injury assessment and ongoing rehab.  Sunday was my first run of an hour during this time.  It was a week of new firsts!

I also decided to start tracking my runs using metric measures.  One reason is 40+ kilometers sounds much better to me than 25+ miles.  I'm playing a mental trick on myself.  My mental state is extremely fragile and still very much day to day.  I am not sure how I am going to feel or how I will run day to day.  Using kilometers allows me to feel (and see more easily) my progression.  Call me crazy, but the smaller unit is helping.  Also, much of the training information I have been researching lately is in metric units.

However, some things remain the same.  My back has regressed, and constant pain and lack of mobility has returned.  I am handling it well because I believe it is a temporary issue.  On the other hand, it is concerning because I only have five more appointments with my doctor before the plan is completed and I don't feel as though I am in any condition to being going at this alone yet.  This is my second "regression" since beginning my treatment and my doctor explained the pain comes from the fact my alignment is improving although my muscles are not used to the new positioning of my body, leaving them irritated.  I hope he is right and this is not an inaccurate assessment.

I am maintaining a positive outlook.  Tonight brings one of those five doctor appointments as well as a 90 minute massage.  This should provide some feedback as to this situation as well as to allow more productive feedback about the ability of the massage therapist (this is the first appointment).  I hope to get in similar numbers this week as last week while improving how I feel physically, and I can't think of any reason for this not to happen.

For 2011 overall, I hope to run a fast half in the fall.  I don't want to rush any possible return to training and racing.  I just want to slowly build back my aerobic base first, then worry about the rest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment