Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Jan 3, 2011 - Jan 9, 2011

The first full week of 2011 did not go exactly as planned.

Mon: rest day; had a dr appointment and a 90 minute massage after work
Tue: 7.31 km recovery run
Wed: 8.2 km progressive run (7:58 first mile > 7:14 last mile)
Thu: rest day - to rest sore back
Fri: rest day - to rest sore back
Sat: rest day - to rest sore back
Sun: rest day - to rest sore back

Weekly total: 2 runs, 15.51 km, 1hr 18min 55sec

2011 totals: 3 runs, 27.64 km, 2hr 18min 55sec

It was a pretty easy decision to take the last four days off.  I have been running at least every other day for the last two months.  Relative to the recent past, this is probably the longest stint of consistent running I have had.  I am happy that I have been able to increase the length and frequency of my runs to reach 25 miles a couple weeks ago.

I seemed I was fighting back soreness the last couple weeks.  The situation was not improving, but it was not digressing either.  So, I was faced with a choice.  On one hand, I could continue running at my current volume and struggle with the day to day discomfort, or I could take four days off and hope my back soreness would improve and possibly completely alleviate.  I chose the latter.

In the greater scheme of things, four days off is nothing.  For some reason, I placed a lot of importance and emphasis on this decision.  I know if I am to return to running at anywhere near the level I had once been, I was going to have to be intelligent about my running.  I also know I am going to be faced with a similar situation many times in the future.  I needed to make the conservative decision this time...I needed to set a precedent for myself moving forward.

I would have liked to run more this week, no doubt.  But, I had to ask myself: better to run more this week and chance further injury or better to run more this year?

As of now, I am glad I made the choice I did.  My back feels significantly better.  There was very little soreness upon waking this morning (Monday) and while sitting in my chair at work.  Time to test it out.  Time to gain some momentum and continue my progress.

Oh, and I should add my progress will be done at an easy pace.  This means no straining.  This means keeping my heart rate in the mid 140s or below.  This means building my aerobic capacity while not putting unnecessary physical strain on my body.  This means running slow with proper form to reduce the chance of injury until my body is ready for more rigorous efforts.

Who would go tell a beginner to go run fast and/or long everyday?  I'll tell you who would say that: someone ignorant or cavalier.  Unfortunately, I no longer have the luxury to take unnecessary chances.  I want to make my comeback.  I want it to work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment