Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fooled by the one and only

So, I have been thinking about my running a lot lately.  I am sure this is because I have been able to run more and for a longer stretch of time than I can remember.

I am currently at a point when I am losing my patience.  I have been very intelligent with my running routine.  My doctor, who happens to be an athlete himself, has told me exactly what to do.  This has been the case for the last two months.  But, right there in lies the problem.  It has been two months!!!

I was talking to a friend the other day and I told her I no longer consider myself a runner.  After thinking more about this comment, I should expand on that statement and add "in practice".  I believe my mentality and desire and neurosis and compulsion are still, and will always be, those of a runner.  Meaning: "Can't I run more already???"  On the other hand, it has only been two months :)

One thing that has been interesting, if not difficult, to understand/handle is the pace with which I am running now.  To keep my heart rate < 140 bpm, I run at a pace of about 9 minute miles.  This is much slower than I was used to running.  On the other hand, a moderate to hard effort yields a pace of about 7:15 per mile, which is similar to the pace I was doing easy runs prior to my marathon.  This begs the question: "How fast should I be running?"

I consider myself very much a student of the sport of running.  I seek out and enjoy reading about training, however most of the reading I was drawn to in preparation for the marathon and after was geared towards training.  Specifically, elite and sub-elite training.  Even during my injury period, I continued to read training principles well-known coaches used for their athletes (lydiard, vigil, canova, etc.).

That is not to say I didn't work up to reading and researching this information.  I started out the same as many others do, reading Runnersworld and participating on their online forums.  I then graduated to Jack Daniel's The Running Formula.  As I became more interested and involved with running and training, the literature and discussion I was drawn to were more and more advanced.  It appears to have followed the progression of my performances in races.  In a nutshell, I was always looking to improve!

If someone asked me, I would say I pretty knowledgeable about running.  I could tell someone more than they ever wanted to know about stride rates, pronation/supination, running form, and advanced training principles.  But, when it comes to beginning or recreational running, I am once again ignorant! Ha ha.

I have fooled myself, and I only have myself to blame!  See, whether I am a runner in practice, attitude or what have you, doesn't matter.  The fact is I am once again a beginner.  I have been injured and inconsistent in my running for so long due to my injuries (now 14+ months) that I am basically starting from scratch.  I don't know the answers to the most basic questions I ask myself currently regarding my running.

It brings me back to the question I asked above: "How fast should I be running?"  This simple question gives rise to so many other questions.  Will running the easy pace (9 min/mile) cause me to get injured because my body is used to running faster?  Is my body still even used to running faster?  Will running the moderate/hard pace injure me faster because I would be putting more stress on body?  I am sure anyone could make an argument for the decision they would make.

It's been difficult to make this adjustment.  Mentally, I am a 2:42 marathoner.  Physically, I am a beginning fitness runner with no idea of what my performance would be over any race distance.  It is important that I not only recognize this, but that my behaviors are adjusted to those of a beginner.  Meaning, it has only been two months and running 20-25 miles a week at this point is probably commendable and impressive.

So, maybe its time to go back and buy a few issues of Runnersworld.  Maybe its time to go back and read some parts of Daniel's and Pfitzinger's books or maybe buy any other publication geared towards beginners.  It would probably prove helpful in at least refreshing my memory, and heck, I may learn something new!

One other factor I did not mention before that brought on this rambling was that my back continues to be sore.  I am almost positive it is muscular.  It seems as though my improvement has plateaued the last 3 weeks or so.  A day here or there it may feel better, while other days it feels worse.  The constant throughout these three weeks is that I have continued running consistently.  This made me think: Is it time to take a few days off to see how my body responds?  It doesn't seem like a difficult question and the answer is probably simple.  But, I have found a way to compound it in my head based on the fact that mentally and physically I am at opposite ends of the spectrum.  So, I think I'll just ask my doctor what to do when I see him tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment