Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

so what does all this mean???

In my last post, I explained the various physical ailments I had.  I wanted to try and explain the consequences,. or effects, these ailments were having on me, both running and in daily life.

I had constant back pain most of the time.  It seemed to be the worst in the morning.  I couldn't stand up straight.  I was leaned over to the right significantly and hunched forward at the same time.  When I went from a laying or sitting position, I would have to lean to the right, stand up, then slowly rise to an upright position (if possible).  My misalignment and posture were causing difficulties digesting as well as reduced lung capacity.  I was holding about 20% more body weight on my left side.  My doctor wasn't sure, but my lower left leg problems (soleus) may be an effect of my physical ailments as well.  The jury is still out on this one though.  It was a pretty miserable existence the last few months.

Things appear to be significantly improving.  I have now been seeing my doctor for about three and a half weeks.  I have been running every other day and I do not feel any discomfort in my back while running.  Also, I am completing those activities and projects I had put off for fear it would extend or increase the pain.  I can't wait for my reassessment exam to actually have the factual data to support my improvement.

Now, on to specifics of running.  Actually, I should call it jogging :)  I ran 3 miles on Mon, Wed & Fri.  Sunday I did 5 miles...14 miles for the week!!!  For me, that is exciting.  Baby steps, right?

I am having some lower left leg tightness when I run.  It appears to feel the same as all the problems I've had before with the leg.  My doctor wants me to continue to run in the cushioned-type shoe I have for the last couple years.  I am foam rolling it everyday for 5-10 minutes and I am wearing kinesio type on the calf.  I am going to continue to treat the problem/injury this way until told otherwise.

I have another appointment with my doctor today.  I am going to ask if I can run more...hopefully, he says yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment