Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Nov 8 - Nov 21

Baby steps.  That's what I keep telling myself.  I have been able to run every other day for the past two weeks.  I have to start somewhere.  Three miles, every other day increasing one run per week (11/20 was 4 miles).  Time is inconsequential.

It is nice just to be outside and running.  For some reason, I enjoy running in Denver in the winter.  It's dark and cold.  It feels so calm and quiet, comforting and relaxing.  Peaceful.

It has not been easy getting here.  At the beginning of October, my body seemed to finally succumb to the stress it was under.  I couldn't stand up straight.  I don't know how long it had been since I woke up without any back pain.

I thought I would get better on my own.  I figured if I gave it time, my body would heal itself.  The only problem is every time I felt better, I would try and run.  Eventually, the pain would return.  Even more concerning, each time I returned to running, the pain returned sooner.

Well, I found a doctor who believes he can help.  He got me back up and running within a few days.  I am sticking with his advice and his plan to get me healthy.  We defined health as waking up without back pain and being able to run 10 miles a day without pain.

I trust in the rehabilitation plan he has laid out for me.  I am hopeful for things to come.  But, I am also trying to enjoy the journey.  And, maybe I'll even learn a little more about myself.

Nov 8 - Nov 14: 4 runs, 3 miles each
Nov 15 - Nov 21: 3 runs, 2 x 3 miles & 1 x 4 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment