Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

I've been told I need some goals

As I said in my last post, 2012 comes at a time of great hope for me.  I feel good and I am looking forward to seeing how each day, week & month progress.  One person I was talking to the other day about my running asked if I was training for something specific, and I replied, "No."  She kind of scoffed and said that I do need to decide what I want to do and make a plan.  She was right.  I remember reading a while back that not having a plan usually results in one doing just enough to get by and is not an environment conducive to thrive and perform at a higher level and meet and/or exceed expectations.  This resonated with me.

Granted, I find myself to be internally motivated in all things I undertake, but I realized setting goals would only serve to increase my potential.  The one concern I had was that setting a plan and goals could result in additional pressure placed upon myself.  Consistent with the additional pressure and desire to accomplish my goals, I was concerned I may do to much (frequency, volume, intensity) which may lead to injury and put me right back where I don't want to be...injured.  This planning and goal-setting opened up the possibility for disappointment, both by leading to potential injury or not accomplishing the goals I set.  All these thoughts will remain with me throughout this year, and will hopefully lead to honest self-assessment and intelligent training.

I have realized how important it is to take care of yourself.  In the past, I loved running, but I didn't particularly care for all of the other "stuff" that went along with it, like core work, stretching, strengthening, good nutrition.  And, 2012 is no different...I still don't really care for those things.  BUT, I have learned to appreciate the importance of these things.  As such, my first goal is to practice these habits more consistently.  This can only help protect my back, pelvis & legs.  My number one goal is to remain healthy!

In conjunction with with the personal changes to become more healthy, I also have determined I will continue to see a doctor regularly.  Dr. Blaich is a kinesiologist who I have been seeing and seems to have truly helped my physical well-being.  My hope is to see him about every 2-3 weeks.  My opinion is doing this is like performing preventative maintenance on a car.  If you do it, it doesn't protect against potential problems, but if you don't do it, problems are certain to occur.  I took a similar approach back in 2009 while training for Hartford back (I think that helped keep me together through training and the race, even if it didn't prevent future injuries).

Below are a few other goals I have set for 2012.  I am not sure I will have the opportunity to accomplish them all, it depends on race availability and timing.

1) Sub 17 minute 5k
2) Sub 35 minute 10k
3) Sub 58 minute 10-miler
4) Sub 1:16 half marathon
5) Sub 6 minute/mile pace for a marathon

Here is a tentative race schedule (with goal races identified):
1) Snowman Stampede 5M - 2/18
2) Runnin' Of the Green 7K - 3/11
3) Boulder Spring 10M (goal race) - 4/1
4) Stadium Stampede 5k or E-Race Loneliness 10k - 6/24
5) Classic 10k - 7/1
6) Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - 8/11
7) Park to Park 10M - 9/3
8) Rock & Roll St. Louis Half Marathon - 10/21
9) California International Marathon (goal race) - 12/2

As you can see, the 1st half of the year focuses on shorter distances.  The reason for this is so I can intelligently manage volume throughout the year - naturally my volume will increase throughout the year as I feel confident in my health.  It's my attempt to mentally trick myself!  Plus, this will help me get back into racing consistently.  I intend to build my training program focused on the Boulder Spring 10M and will train through the races prior to that.

The 2nd half of the year will truly be my focus.  I have always wanted a gold pan from the Georgetown Half, so I may put together an abbreviated program for that race.  This would leave 15 weeks to prepare for CIM.  The other option is to put together an extended program for CIM, which would mean I would be racing the Georgetown Half about the time I exit my base building/introductory period.  Either way, I believe I could perform well.

So, there it is in all its glory!  It may all change tomorrow, but for today, it works...and I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment