Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Motivation and such

Week of 9/26-10/2: 35.21 miles

10/3-10/9
Mon: 7.29 miles @ 8:05/mile w/ 135 avgHR - easy run

Tue: 8.25 miles @ 7:35/mile w/ 148 avgHR - first half comfortable and easy (7:47/mile downhill), negative split 2nd half up (7:22/mile uphill)

Wed: 5.3 miles @ 8:05/mile - easy run

Thu: 7.09 miles @ 7:54/mile - easy run, just wanted to see how easy I could make consistent 8 minute miles feel

Fri: AM - 4 miles @ 8:09/mile - easy run on treadmill at gym (1% incline, 7.4 speed)
PM - 5.01 miles @ 7:27/mile - moderate effort

Sat: planned rest day

Sun: 13.19 miles @ 7:23/mile w/ 153 avgHR - purpose was to go out 1st half comfortably & do 2nd half at a moderate effort, actual 1st half: 50:04 - 7:35/mile, 2nd half: 47:18 - 7:10/mile

Weekly Totals: 7 runs, 50.13 miles

First week of 50+ miles in probably over a year!  It wasn't without its hiccups.  My left leg & knee have been a little achy.  It could be ITBS, so I have gotten intimate with my foam roller again.  This is why Wed & Thu were fairly easy and light as I just wanted to let it rest a little.

As you can probably see, I am doing a lot of strength running right now.  I am concentrating on getting in some of that higher level aerobic work with the least amount of stress to the body as possible.  I need to continue to do strides or introduce uphill sprints once or twice a week as well as get in some tempo pace work.  The difficult part for me right now is trying to figure out what my tempo pace should be as I do not have a good indication of my current level of fitness.  I may just need to jump in a 5k and see what I can do to give me a better idea of what paces I should using for various workouts.

It's been fun to watch the paces of my runs come down along with the corresponding heart rate associated with the paces.  I feel like my endurance is slowly returning, but I must admit I have no speed right now.  This is fine with me as I am rebuilding that aerobic foundation and will add layers of work to it over time...it's a long term approach.  I just have to continue to be patience and intelligent about my progress in order to avoid setback.

My stride continues to feel as though it is improving.  I feel smoother.  When I concentrate of firing my quads and hamstrings while maintaining tall, even shoulders, I have had brief interludes where I feel as though I am floating along...like I used to feel.  I'll keep telling myself to stretch and I have my fingers crossed physical therapy will bring me to "proper alignment" and pain-free running!

No comments:

Post a Comment